American Council of Hypnotist Examiners Code of Ethics
As a Hypnotherapist holding a Certification from the American Council of
Hypnotist Examiners, I commit myself to conduct my professional
relationships in accord with the Code of Ethics and subscribe to the
- I regard as my primary obligation the welfare if the individual or group
- I will not discriminate because of race, color, religion, age, sex, or
national ancestry and in my job capacity will work to prevent and eliminate
such discrimination in rendering service, in work assignments, and in
- I give precedence to my professional responsibility over my personal
- I hold myself responsible for the quality and extent of the service I
- I respect the privacy of the people I serve.
- I respect the rights, desires, and needs of my clients at all times.
- I use in a responsible manner information gained in professional
- I treat with respect the findings, views, and actions of colleagues and
use appropriate channels to express judgment on these matters.
- I practice hypnotherapy within the recognized knowledge and competence of
- I recognize my professional responsibility to add my ideas and findings to
the body of hypnotism knowledge and practice.
- I accept responsibility to help protect the community against unethical
practice by any individuals or organizations engaged in hypnotic services.
- I distinguish clearly, in public, between my statements and actions as an
individual and as a representative of an organization.
- I support the principle that professional practice requires professional
education and continuing education.
- I teach self-hypnosis to my clients/students whenever possible.
- I contribute my knowledge, skills and support to programs of human
- I agree that intimate social contact with clients is forbidden for a period of two
years from the client's final session.
I understand that the maintenance of high ethical standards by the American
Council of Hypnotists Examiners (A.C.H.E.) is an important support to the
professional standing of all Hypnotherapists. I agree to conduct my practice
and all professional interactions in strict accordance with the Code of
Ethics as defined now or in the future. I also agree to conduct my practice
and all professional interactions in strict accordance with A.C.H.E. rules
and regulations promulgated now or in the future. By accepting my
Certification, I consent to the authority and jurisdiction of the A.C.H.E.
to promulgate such rules and regulations, as it may from time to time deem
necessary and to take such action, including legal, as it deems necessary to
If I am charged with an ethics violation, I understand that an investigation
may be conducted upon receipt of a written complaint signed by the person
against whom the wrong is alleged. When an allegation of misconduct is being
investigated I will be given an opportunity to respond to the Ethics
Committee. I understand that my certification could be suspended for a
specific period of time or revoked. In any case, I agree to hold American
Council of Hypnotist Examiners harmless for any actions it may take to guardagainst unethical practices or to enforce the rules and regulations.
Ethical Advertising Regulations
It has come to our attention that a timely caution about the
inappropriate content of promotional material is necessary. (If you
have already been licensed by a board of regulation, for example as a
psychologist, clinical social worker, etc., elements of the following
do not pertain.)
Do not make grandiose claims that project hypnosis or hypnotherapy as
a panacea. Be certain that your advertising does not infer or imply
that you have medical or psychotherapy training or any training that
would qualify you for state licensing as a medical or mental health
It is especially important that hypnotherapists avoid the use of the
following words: "psychologist," "psychotherapist," "psychotherapy,"
"psychological," "counseling," "medical," ("clinical" in New Mexico only) "dental,"
"treatment," "cure," "health care," ("approved instructor" if no longer with an ACHE approved school that is also State Licensed,) or other similar wording in the title of business or any other promotional materials that could mislead the public.
Your hypnotherapy school training prepared you for certification by
the American Council of Hypnotist Examiners. Hypnotherapy is a
"non-licensed" profession. Certification by the A.C.H.E. is granted
only after the completion of specified levels of education provided by hypnotherapy schools licensed by their State's Board of Education (or equivalent). The name for such a regulatory agency varies from State to State). Licensing of a professional group can only be authorized by a law passed by a State legislature and implemented by a State Agency.
Thank you for your compliance
Randal Churchill, President
American Council of Hypnotist Examiners
Gil Boyne, Founder
700 S. Central Ave.
Glendale, CA 91204
phone: (818) 242-1159
fax: (818) 247-9379